The 100 Day project wrapped up almost 2 weeks ago, and I’m proud to say that I stuck with it — #100daysofsaroypatterns was a complete success! The last week of the challenge was the most, er, challenging because we were on vacation. (Confession time: when we went to Belize in June, I did “cheat” ever so slightly by drawing 6 patterns ahead of time to cover the 6 days we were gone.) I didn’t do anything ahead of time for our trip to Seattle though, so I found myself doodling with my niece’s paper and crayons (or a pen) each evening. But I did it nonetheless!
Last time I posted I had finished almost 60 patterns. Here are a few favorites from the last 40:
Overall I both really enjoyed this project, and was ready for it to end when day 100 rolled around. In the last few weeks I’d started to feel a bit burned out on doodling and thought I was running low on ideas, but despite that I still managed to come up with some winners. The pattern on the lower right is from day 100 yet is still one of my favorites. If this isn’t proof that doing a large volume of work will lead to at least some quality work, I’m not sure what is!
I’m not drawing a pattern a day anymore, but I also don’t think this is the end of this project. I’m planning to digitize several of these and put them up on Spoonflower, hopefully by the end of August or so. I’d like to try making myself a shirt out of one of them, or incorporating a few into a quilt. There are also a few patterns that I think could be reinterpreted as quilt patterns. We’ll see!