We’re nearing the end of our second snow/ice day. In theory, that should mean plenty of sewing time…but in reality, with both kids home, that definitely ain’t happening! Tomorrow it’ll be back to school, work, and normal life.
I took my L Is For… quilt along with me to a girls night last Friday and finished up the hanging sleeve. I stitched the label on Saturday. And on Monday, I dropped both of my QuiltCon quilts off at the UPS store. The ice storm has delayed them — according to the tracking numbers, they’re both still in Houston. But I’m still glad I got them sent on Monday too instead of waiting any longer. I can see that they were able to make it from my local store to the local distribution hub at least, and will hopefully be departing the area as soon as possible.
I had some major cold feet/feelings of intimidation as I got L Is For… ready to go. I made this quilt nearly a year ago, before I upgraded my walking foot, and the quilting on this one is a bit wonky in spots. I kept alternating between feeling nervous that the quality is not up to snuff for a show and then deciding that it’s actually just fine, and I shouldn’t worry. Either way, off it goes and I’m proud of the design, and to have it as part of the Quilt of the Month exhibit.
With those quilts shipped, I’ve now turned my attention to the MQG swap — which I also have to have done in time to swap in person at QuiltCon! My partner gave me a good list of inspirations and I considered several ideas, changing my mind at least 3 or 4 times along the way. I finally settled on using blocks from Carolyn Friedlander’s Everglade pattern and a mix of modern fabrics. I made another, larger block from this pattern in the past and it took me quite a while, so I made one “mini” block as a test. (And my swap partner said she loves acid green, so I started with that!) This block took me about an hour. That seems reasonable enough, so I’m going with it. Yesterday I cut and basted 6 more blocks and will work on the applique for those this week.
And in other news — quilting-related but not actually involving sewing — I picked up a new client this week for some design work! I’ll be tech editing her patterns and doing some InDesign work to get them ready for release. I’m excited, and hope to pick up a few more freelance projects in 2018.